What a day! March 31st, 2006 - Cristina's birthday. Ron and I drove to Mexico the morning after our flight into Palm Springs. It only took a few hours to reach Mexicali. We arrived late morning and met Aaron, Cristina, Cristina's brother and my parents at my parent's hotel. From there we all drove to Cristina's home to meet her parents and her little sister. As soon as we arrived we received the warmest welcome from the whole family. Cristina's mom even created a welcome sign!


Not long at all after we arrived, Aaron asked us to gather in the living room for a toast. I was nervous because I knew what was coming... He presented Cristina's parents with engraved glasses: for dad, the base of the glass included all of the names of the men in the family and for mom, the base included the last names of the women of the family. Aaron toasted Cristina and asked Cristina's papa for Cristina's hand in marriage. It was all very romantic. After more romantic speeches prepared by Aaron in English and in Spanish, he finally got down on his knees for the proposal. This was a surprise to her and also to her family! They expected him to declare his intention to marry her but not to propose! Luckily she said yes. I was very nervous! The proposal was followed by more toasting and teary speeches made by each member of the family.



After all that was out of the way, (whew) we sat down to a delicious Mexican feast prepared by Cristina's Mother, including mole, Cristina' favorite dish. There were many other highlights of the trip including meeting Cristina's friends and extended family, going out for Salsa dancing in Mexicali, hearing Cristina' sister sing (she has the most beautiful voice I have EVER heard), and a drive to Tecate with the whole family.


I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to take part in such an important event in the lives of Aaron and Cristina and to have had the chance to get to know Cristina's wonderfully sincere and loving family. A big THANK YOU to Fernando, Rosie, Fernando Jr., and Sylvia for being such wonderful hosts!
Congratulations to Aaron and Cristina!! They make a wonderful couple. I can't wait for the wedding!
Click here to see all the pictures from our trip.
4 comments:
It is so nice to be able to join in on this very special day for Aaron.
What a romantic way to propose and how nice that you got to be a part of it all! It sounds like it was great fun, including spending time in Palm Springs!
I am so happy and surprised! Christina is a beautiful girl, Aaron looks like a great guy, so they have everything to be a perfect couple!
By the way, I am Christina's cousin.
I hope to meet you all at the wedding!
I'm so happy for both !!!!
I wish them the best for they marryage.
I am Cristina's cousin.
Post a Comment