Monday, October 17, 2005

I'm Such a Slacker

Sorry. It's been a busy month what with school starting back up. Classes are going really well. I even got a gig as a research assistant for a diversity study of Oregon state public agencies. And... I might have a job with the city of Portland as a diversity liason between Portland State University and the City of Portland. It's exciting to me anyway... :-)

The remodel is in full swing. The framer is working on adding a master bath and bedroom to the second level which was the unfinished attic if you can recall from my earlier pictures. He is supposed to be done by the end of October. Then the heating/cooling sub, roofer, electrician, insullation sub and plumber will begin. It has been never ending - calling subs, getting bids, getting permits, more bids, etc. I'll be happy when it's over or at least when a little progress has been made.

I should say that part of the reason I've stayed away is that I haven't always had happy things to write about. That said, I figured what the heck. It is my blog and I should be able to write honestly about the things that are happening in my life. So with that disclosure... Here goes.

I met with a friend who adopted several years ago through this agency based in pdx. She had a really good experience. Since talking to her, I'm beginning to think that this may be my path. I'm still in the grieving phase but I think I'm a lot closer to accepting that I may never become pregnant. Since I've sort of realized/accepted this, I've felt so much weight off my shoulders. I don't have to worry about my biological clock or feel guilty that I ate the wrong thing or deal with any more doctors. Even my acupuncturist pissed me off the other day. I admitted to her that I had done a little more drinking than I should have when some friends were in town and she acted really judgemental. It was awful. The other thing is since thinking about adoption, I've felt better about focusing on my career which I feel like I've completley put on hold since trying to get pregnant three or four years ago. It's nice to be ambitious again. I'm thinking about getting a PHD in Public Adminstration and Policy so I can do research on things like civic engagement, poverty, health care, etc. I just applied for a really competitive fellowship with the national government and if I get it I will have all kinds of cool opportunities but who knows if they'll even look twice at my application.

Another rant...Ron is the biggest football fanatic ever; he is completely obsessed this year. It must be the integration of fantasy football or something but it's is really bad. Saturday he told me he had to work all day (which was fine because I had to do homework) but when I stopped by the office he was watching football. Then Saturday night he told me I should feel grateful that he was going with me to dinner since three of the most important college football game were on at the time. Then Sunday he watched football literally all day (in between trips to the computer to check his fantasy scores) and then watched highlights in bed until he dozed off. Tonight the Rams play on Monday night football and he talked me into making spahgetti dinner for him, Aaron and Rick! Oh and last week he was gone for 4 days to see the Rams play in St. Louis with Aaron and Rick. Ugh. It's a good thing I have my own life. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier if I could just try to like football.

So tonight I made the spaghetti which turned out really good and attempted to watch the game with the guys. It was a heartbreaker and I lasted until the fourth quarter. Not bad. I will see if I can stick it out the whole game next weekend!

3 comments:

Diane said...

What a sport! You must have been tipsy to consider trying to watch football with them. I mean one night or a Sunday game once a week. But remember how much football they watch. As I said before I tried the joining in "the front of the TV thing" and only fell asleep habitually. Good for you if you can do it and even better for Ron.

As for the adoption idea, I am thrilled! I couldn't be happier for you and Ron. I know how excited you both must be. I will try to stay calm myself while you guys work this all this out. When it is decided how , where and when I won't be able to contain myself for joy I am sure.

Patty said...

I know excactly how you feel about the football stuff! Scott is the same way. He is always watching either the games on tv or the computer scores for fantasy. On Saturday it is Nabraska cornhuskers. Then their is always Monday night.
I too am excited that you are considering adoption. What an incredible oppurtunity to make a difference in a childs life. I too will wait for more details! My prayers are still with you!

Candi said...

I am excited to hear the adoption news. I wish you both the most happiness possible. I am so happy you share your feelings with all of us. I will be waiting for more news.
As far as football goes, I am a football fan, so I can relate to Ron in that arena. You need to rent a football video game like Madden 2006 or something so Ron can teach you the basics of the game...worked for me years ago!