Over the past several months since we lost our pregnancy, I have been waiting for my hormone levels to go back to normal. The doctors have been taking my blood and doing ultrasounds about once a week since last September. My hormones just didn't want to go back to normal. Part of it has to do with the fact that I have a heart shaped uterus. This basically means that I have two cavities in my uterus as opposed to the usual single cavity (which by the way the doctor says should absolutely not impact my ability to get pregnant). Apparently they did not know this at the time of my first D & C. After the first one, I had to go to the ER because of severe bleeding. Apparently they didn't get all the tissue during the first procedure. For this reason, they decided to do a last minute D & C before our trip to Mexico last October. When I got back from that trip, I was sure I would be back to normal...
Each week for the past six months I have been going in to have my blood hormone level tested expecting that, by now, my blood levels should be normal. Every week the doctor would call me back to share the bad news. There was concern that I had what is called a partial molar pregnancy which is a rare kind of pregnancy that turns into cancer. This is why they decided to call me in to have a shot of methyltrexate - a drug that they give to women with ectopic pregnancies. It's supposed to kill any tissue growing in the fallopian tubes or in my case any tissue that has attached to the lining of my uterus and is continuing to grow but is not an actual pregnancy. It seemed like the saga would never go away.
My hormone level finally started to decrease until it was actually hovering just above "normal." Weeks before, I decided to do something I have been dreaming about doing - study Spanish in Mexico for a month. I was getting tired of waiting around for my hormones to return to normal. The feeling of being in limbo was driving me nuts so I thought this would be a great way to spend some time. A week before my trip, my hormones were still not normal. My doctor was not happy when I informed her of my travel plans. She recommended another shot of methyltrexate before the trip. She also told me to bring a pregnancy test with me to Mexico to take two weeks into my stay. If it comes out positive, she said, I would need to return home immediately. Luckily it didn't.
I'm back from Mexico with good news - a blood test and ultrasound last week confirm that I am finally "back to normal" which means that after two more months we can finally try again.
The required two months wait (between when my hormones return to normal and when we can try to get pregnant again) will be up just about the time when we return from our trip to Rome to visit Lisa. Perfect timing.
P.S. I know this is a lot of personal information to throw up on the blog but it is such a huge part of my world (and Ron's world of course) these days that I can't not mention it and keep up with this blog. It just wouldn't feel right if I didn't mention from time to time. I hope you don't mind.
Monday, March 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Amy, you are such a dear. Thanks for the detailed update. I am certain that everyone is interested in your life. So many people care deeply for you. And many are wondering what is going on with you for sure. Your latest blog here is appreciated.
Oh my gosh Amy!!! I think about you daily and I mean that! I just hate to keep asking Diane what is going on constantly. She did tell me though about your hormone level and stuff. I am so glad to hear some good news..God knows you deserve it! Please don't think that the family doesn't want to hear about what you are going through because I know we all feel the same way. We want to hear anything you want to share. I love you and Ron so much and will continue to check your blog!
Oh my gosh Amy!!! I think about you daily and I mean that! I just hate to keep asking Diane what is going on constantly. She did tell me though about your hormone level and stuff. I am so glad to hear some good news..God knows you deserve it! Please don't think that the family doesn't want to hear about what you are going through because I know we all feel the same way. We want to hear anything you want to share. I love you and Ron so much and will continue to check your blog!
Wow I am sure you wanted to hear from me twice. Sorry, not sure how that happened!
Post a Comment