Although I could write forever about this trip, I think I'll take a few paragraphs to talk about some of the highlights.I spent four amazing weeks in Mazatlan Mexico over the month of February studying Spanish. I lived with a wonderful family - Gloria and Gilberto are an older couple in their late sixties. Their youngest daughter Marcela lived at the house with them. They have several other daughters and a son who are all married with families of their own. The other daughters live outside of Mazatlan but I did get to meet Gracia and her two daughters when they came to the house to celebrate Gilberto's birthday. Their son, Fernando, lived only a few houses away with his wife and daughter. They would come over all the time. Gloria was very fun loving and filled with energy. She was always cracking jokes and teasing Gilberto. Gilberto was one of the sweetest men I'd ever met. You could tell he completely adored Gloria. I loved getting to know this family. It was difficult adjusting to life in a new home and I missed Ron a lot but by the end of my four weeks, I really felt like part of the family. I really miss them.
My school was excellent. Every morning I would wake up at about 7am. Gloria would prepare breakfast. Classes started around 8:30 and lasted until about 2pm. I would come home for lunch and usually spending a few hours at the kitchen table visiting with Gloria and Gilberto. Then it was either back to my room to do homework, or a walk along the beach or some kind of outing with my host family or friends I had met at the school. All in all I spent about five to eight hours a day either studying or practicing Spanish. My host family spoke no English so it was a great opportunity to practice what I was learning at school.
Ron came to get me on my final day of school. He flew into Mazatlan and met me at my host family's house. I was so excited to see him! I was happy he got to meet my family and see the neighborhood and house where I lived. We spent a few luxurious days at a hotel and explored Mazatlan together. He got to see my school and we were lucky to take part in one of Mazatlan's (and Mexico's) biggest festivals - Carnival. He was impressed with how easily I was able to get around the town. It was fun to be his tour guide.
Here are some photos from the trip:
(Gloria and Gilberto)
(Gilberto's birthday)
(Gracia and Marcela, Gloria and Gil's daughters)
(Gloria and Gil's granddaughters)
(My homestay house)
(The front of my school)
(Some students at my school... I was the youngest for awhile!)
(The boardwalk where I would walk and jog)
5 comments:
How amazing! Connie did something similar to this a long time ago. I think she was in Costa Rica. My brain fails me...
Anyway, what an amazing opportunity. Good for you!
:)
Candi
I sure love seeing this.
How totally cool. What a great experience for you! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Funny Candi should say that because I was going to say that this sounds practically IDENTICAL to my time in Costa Rica in 1992. From the family time, to them not speaking a word of English, to the school hours, the time in my room studying....everything! Brian and I were only together a little over a year then and it was extremely hard to be away from him for that long. It was such an amazing experience for me, though! How fantastic that you could experience this unique opportunity! Thanks for sharing!
Hi Aim! Great to see you were out exploring Mexico. sounds amazing... as usual you are doing great things. And I'm so glad to hear the doctors say you are doing better and you can try to get pregnant again... hoping you'll have good news to share about that, soon.
MB
Post a Comment