Saturday, September 17, 2005

Beautiful, Peaceful Kauai

The flight from SF to Lihue was packed. I didn’t get an aisle seat so I think I drove the poor man next to me crazy getting up to go to the bathroom every five seconds. (Anyone who knows me knows about my bladder issues!) Oh well, I offered him the window…When we arrived at Lihue airport I turned my phone on to see if I had gotten any messages. There were three and I immediately got a weird feeling that something was wrong. I checked the first two and there were no emergencies. The last one was from our home security service; the alarm had gone off at the house. While Ron went to pick up our rental car, I tried calling everyone I knew who might be able to go check on the house. No luck, so I called Brinks back and found out that the motion detector had gone off, that the police had been by and everything appeared to be okay. We eventually figured out that Lisa, the woman who cleans for us, had forgotten to turn the motion off and the poor kitties had set off the alarm! Whew, at least it wasn’t a burglary. Rick and May eventually got to the house to check on everything. I’ve been so paranoid that something was going to “happen” to get in the way of our vacation.

We picked up our rental car and drove to the hotel. I didn’t pay much attention to the drive there because I was so wrapped up in the alarm drama. We found the hotel without a problem. It was easily the nicest, most beautiful hotel I have ever seen. As you walk to the front desk there is this incredible open-air foyer that looks out to the Pacific Ocean. It was really beautiful and even though I looked at the hotel pictures on the website, they really didn’t begin to do it justice. To save some money we booked a garden view room (ocean view is so much more expensive) but when we got there they upgraded us to a partial ocean view room. It was on the 6th floor overlooking the pools. A very nice view. The first thing I noticed about the place was how quiet it was. There didn’t seem to be a lot of guests and because of this it was very peaceful.

This is the view from our room:



We went to dinner at the resort and had a beautiful table overlooking a koi pond. After dinner we strolled the grounds and walked along the pathway that parallels the beach. We sat on a bench a watched the most beautiful full moon I have ever seen.

Here is a picture of the beach before the moon came out:



This is the place we ate. I love how it looks at night:



Koi:

2 comments:

Diane said...

Oh wow!!! How amazingly beautiful! I am so impressed. Sounds just perfect.

Dadio said...

Nice choice of hotel. I couldn't have done better myself. It looks lovely. I wonder if this is an "off season" on Kauai?