Sunday, September 18, 2005

Rams, Hurricanes and Tropical Drinks

Our first morning in Kauai! We were so excited that we both had trouble sleeping and, because of the time difference, got up at 6am. We got dressed and went downstairs to look around. They were doing a Sunday brunch at one of the restaurants so we decided to eat. We got a very nice table right on the water (complete with swans).



We reserved a court and played tennis for an hour after breakfast. Ron won 6-3.

After breakfast and tennis Ron took the car to hunt down a sports bar where he could watch the Rams game. I decided not to go. I guess he drove practically the whole island looking for one but eventually got there in time to see the second half. I went to the gym and hung out at the pool until he got back.

The pool:


While I was reading the paper this morning I learned that there were three hurricanes heading to the Hawaiian Islands. Three! Somebody, later in the day, told me that hurricanes don’t often hit the Hawaiian islands. Something about the temperature of the water making them fizzle out by the time they get to land. The last big hurricane was on September 11th 1992. Hurricane Iniki hit Poipu beach with winds of 140 MPH, a category 4 hurricane. The newspaper said that all the coscos and walmarts on the islands were selling out of water and hurricane survival kits. Great. It was supposed to hit by Friday. Here is my conversation with the guy at the concierge: Me: “I guess that hurricanes don’t actually hit the islands that often, right?” The guy: “Nope. Only Kauai.” So as we followed the status of Hurricane Rita, we also watched the three heading to Hawaii. By Thursday we learned that two had fizzled and one had missed us.

Anyway, Ron eventually joined me at the pool. We hung out, swam and ordered tropical drinks.

I notice that the thing to do on the island is get up early and enjoy the day then enjoy the sunset and go to bed. We were definitely in line for that schedule. Our first night we tried to watch a pay per view movie (we love doing this) but fell asleep half way through.

3 comments:

Diane said...

I am so glad that the hurricanes missed you. I hope it didn't dampen your wonderful times.

Dadio said...

Nothing like a little drama to heighten the vacation experience. Glad you didn't have to evacuate. Costco on the island? I knew Ron would be at a Ram's telecast.

May said...

Someone has been busy writing! The photos look nice Aim. Looks like you took a lot of photos. I'm glad you guys had a good time, definitely from looking at the pics. Sorry I'm not much of a reader, too long for me. I rather hear all about it when I see you next. Hope you are feeling better, and good luck at school today.
May