Friday, September 02, 2005

Each day since the hurricane hit it seems to get worse. I've just spent the past hour reading the paper and I tell you I am in utter shock at the images I saw and the articles I've read. There are people stranded in the superdome having had no food or water for three days. There are dead people floating by and sitting in wheelchairs as if forgotten. There are riots for food from aid groups. Looting. Rape. Murder. What country is this? I keep thinking about the stories coming out of New Orleans. Most of the city is black and a quarter of the city is poor. The people who could not evacuate, who are still there or who are trying to get out are the most vulnerable. These are poor people - women, the elderly and children, the sick. I wish there was something I could do. We are giving money to the Red Cross but it doesn't seem like its enough. My heart aches for these people.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh God, I know just how you feel. So helpless. It may be cowardly, but I can only watch a limited amount of the tragedy. I want to be informed. Yet it tears my heart out and I can't take the pain.

Patty said...

I know what you mean Amy! As does most of the good people in the world. Sometimes when hearing the news the bad is what you see most! But it is also inspiring to hear about the good in people too! This is truly a situation where we see the worst and the best of humans! I have also sat in disbeleif about how this could happen in this country. How can there be raping and murder where there are so many people to stop this kind of behavior? i don't get it! And shooting at the rescue workers....what is that all about?

Candi said...

It is terrible. :(