Friday, August 05, 2005

I Break for Garage Sales

All the women in my family love second hand shopping, especially garage sales. I think it runs in the genes. I felt a bit of deja vu when I went garage saling with DyAnne, Janine and Henry today. It brought me back to the days of trolling garage sales with my Mom and 3 sisters. There is a whole strategy to it. You have to go early Friday morning in order to find the best deals. You should pick a neighborhood then look in the newspaper for announcements. When you're driving around the hood Friday morning, keep your eyes peeled for any intriguing signage that may not have been posted in the classified. Watch out for the permanent garage sales. Avoid these! Most are just thrift shops masquerading as garage sales and the prices are a lot higher.

I found a few treasures thanks to our early start - one brand new pair of tevas, a beautiful embroidered top and some cool chunky necklaces ala Sienna Miller.

It was Henry's first time and I think he took to it quite well. Grandma got him a few books and Mom found him a brand new pair of Nikes a few sizes too big.

The many faces of Henry:







2 comments:

Candi said...

Henry is a cutie pie! Sounds like a fun day and like you found some great things!

Diane said...

I did appreciate the strategy of garage sales. When it is kind of a family tradition I am sure they are twice the fun. So many people I know make them a regular routine.

But my favorite part is Henry. He is soooo cute! He also seems to be such a sweet little guy.