I've been spending a lot of time coordinating the remodel of the house next door. We (along with my brother Aaron) bought it several months ago. It's in
very poor condition. Our goal is to restore it back to its original arts and crafts bungalow charm. The plan was to hire a general contractor to help us do it. After hiring an architect and shopping our plans around to a variety of generals, we learned that it couldn't be done within our budget. One general contractor laid out the options: sell or coordinate the project yourself by acting as your own general. We decided to go with option number 2. I would be the main point person. I read
Be Your Own Home Renovation Contractor and felt
a little less intimidated by it all.






We have the final set of plans from the architect and I'm in the middle of getting bids from 13 different kind of subcontractors. Next week, I hope to go get permits from the city so that we can finally see some work getting done. It's still a very scary undertaking but I know it will be really rewarding to see the finished product and I'm learning a lot of new stuff. Who knows, maybe some day Ron and I can work together as a husband and wife general contracting team :-)
Here are some "before" pics. Hopefully I will have some "afters" to show-off soon.
3 comments:
Wow! Great job with the photos. I didn't quite realize that you took the whole contractor's job on yourselves. Mostly you, I am sure with Ron working 24/7. Good luck! Here's to your visions.
Wow...that's quite an undertaking. How cool. I love to see people seek out their vision and follow through on it. Congratulations...I hope everything goes smoothly and I can't wait to see the progress you make.
Good job, Amy. Looks like a challenge but think of how rewarding it will be when it's done.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment